Saturday, June 12, 2010

Facebook: Friend or Foe?

Good morning bloggers last night I was laying in bed thinking about facebook. Is facebook really worth it?? Yes all of the people who are on facebook are at least slightly narcissistic why else would we feel the need to keep everyone we know updated on our daily happening. But that aside do you think facebook is really a positive attribute to today’s society? If you think about it logically you are spending so much time online posting and reading and looking at people’s pictures when you could be out or on the phone with a true friend strengthening your relationship. My very best friend has trouble with facebook because she treats it like her everyday life; if she receives a friend request from someone she is not friends with (real friends outside of the world wide web) then she ignores or declines. One of the many reasons I love her so much she is a real friend through and through if I need her she is there and with or with out the WWW I know that we will always be there for each other. On another note I often feel that I have to edit what I am saying on facebook which totally defeats the purpose of posting what’s going on in your life. I feel like I need more defined options then just friend. Here are a few ideas that I have for "friend" classifications: overly friendly clients who stalk you online, bosses who you don’t want to see that your going to the zoo when you called off sick, family members who should know nothing about sex, drinking, or partying, odd high school friend who thinks that you 2 are BFF's, you get my point. But while doing all this editing in my head I feel like I then loose my voice and being dishonest because I am just putting up these vanilla posts that are void of any real interest which leads me back to where is the point. So I am turning to you bloggers what’s the answer facebook: friend or foe?

1 comment:

  1. You know, I think there used to be categories you could separate people in to...I know you can now to block who can see stuff you post and status updates. Maybe I'm guilty of using it often when I can't find it in myself to be PG for the sake of the children or their uptight parents :)

    ReplyDelete